the old malt house
The Old Malt House is on the site of an adulterine castle of the Lercedekne family. In 1334 John Lercedekne was granted permission to build the castle by Edward III. This castle was demolished in the 19th century.
The Old Malt House is across the road from the parish church. The church is dedicated to St Rumonus and was built in 1321. It has a chancel, a nave, a north aisle and a south transept. The single-stage tower houses a ring of two bells.
The church is built of local grey slate stone and is gothic in style. A shield on the south cornice of the nave bears the words, "Built 1321". The font and tower also date back to the 14th century.
Restoration work included the installation of a stained glass window in 1866. The Rev John Whitaker was Rector of this church for thirty years between 1778 and 1808. He was the author of “The Cathedrals of Cornwall” and other historical works.
Ruan Lanihorne stands on the old coach road from Penzance to London.